Have you ever felt uncomfortable in a social situation because you were worried about your breath? Bad breath is a serious problem for many of our patients here at Feather Touch Dental Care, and it can be a great source of anxiety. For patients who suffer from halitosis, bad breath is not just a concern after eating a fragrant meal, but at all times. Our general dentistry services help patients to monitor and control oral health so that issues such as bad breath are no longer a problem. By diagnosing the source of a patient’s halitosis, we are able to come up with the most effective bad breath treatment for our Atlanta patients.
Common Causes of Bad Breath
There are plenty of options available to patients who want to temporarily mask bad breath. Mints, gum, and mouth wash can all be effective in temporarily freshening the breath, but if a patient is interested in effective, long-term treatment for bad breath, it is important to figure out the source of the problem. In most cases, halitosis is a side effect of another oral health problem. Below are some common dental conditions that are known to cause bad breath:
- Overall poor oral health or hygiene
- Tooth decay
- Root canal infection
- Gum disease
- Dry mouth
Bad Breath Treatments
To effectively eliminate bad breath, rather than just cover it up, the source of bad breath has to be treated. The first step in combatting bad breath is to create a good, regular oral hygiene routine. It is important to brush and floss the teeth regularly and to schedule professional dental exams and cleanings at least twice a year. If bad breath persists, it is likely that one of the causes of bad breath is present and requires treatment. Below are some treatment options for the most common causes of bad breath:
- Tooth decay: Tooth decay can weaken the teeth and compromise a person’s oral functions. It is also a common cause of bad breath. We offer an array of restorative dental treatments that can help patients rebuild tooth structure and eliminate this source of bad breath. Possible treatment options include a dental filling, an inlay or onlay, or a dental crown.
- Root canal infection: A root canal infection severely affects oral health and can lead to bad breath. Root canal therapy is the most effective treatment. It involves the removal of infected tooth material, along with placement of a dental crown to strengthen and protect the tooth.
- Gum disease: Gum disease can lead to a number of side effects, which include red, swollen, tender gums, and persistent bad breath. Treatmetns for gum disease range from a non-invasive deep cleaning (known as root planing and scaling), to surgical treatment that promotes healing of the gum tissue. Gum disease treatment can renew the strength and health of the gums, and eliminate side effects such as bad breath.
- Dry mouth: If a patient is unable to produce an adequate amount of saliva, the mouth will become dry and bacteria will not be rinsed away, leading to bad breath and other oral health problems. There are artificial rinses that can be used to mimic the mouth’s natural saliva so that issues such as bad breath are no longer a problem.
Schedule an Appointment
If bad breath is a regular problem for you, our experienced dentists at Feather Touch Dental Care can help you reclaim fresh, clean breath by pinpointing the source of halitosis. We offer bad breath treatments that effectively freshen the breath and make bad breath a problem of the past. Schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience to learn how we can help you eliminate the worry of bad breath. We look forward to hearing from you!
Posted on behalf of
1175 Peachtree St NE Ste 1204, Building 100
Atlanta GA 30361